Sunday, July 01, 2007

A pretty garden in Old Salem


I was just looking through the photos I took when I was down in North Carolina in May. We took a walk through Old Salem, which is one of those old villages like Colonial Williamburg but smaller and more modest. We didn't buy tickets so we couldn't go into the blacksmith shop or the candlemaker or whatever. Been there, done that in other places, so I didn't really care. But we walked around the little streets and looked at all the buildings. What's interesting is that there are private residences scattered throughout the place. This beautiful little - well, not so little - garden is not an exhibit but somebody's actual garden. That's like a full-time job, right there. That's beyond my gardening talents and certainly beyond my ambitions. I was always in search of the zero-maintenance garden. It doesn't exist, of course, but it was like my holy grail. Lots of daylilies; you can't kill those things. Hardy perennials, that sort of thing. Now I just have little planters filled with purple petunias, a fuschia hiding in the corner, three little tomato plants, a couple of house plants that will go in when it gets cold and a pot of mint. That's another thing you just can't kill.

1 comment:

BC said...

I used to have the most beautiful "kitchen" garden. I say that because it was in my kitchen where they refer to it as a "breakfast nook". I didnt have a table in there so I filled the empty space with plants. Among them were alot of pothos and palms. Even 3 bird of paradise. I had spiderplants hanging. It was really nice. Of course in the summer they all went out on my balcony. When I moved, it was a day in January and even though it was just across the parking lot to a first floor, most of my plants died because of the extreme cold. I was so upset. The ones that survived were later picked apart by my child. LOLOL

I then "grew" a fake garden. The plants look so real and when she pulled the leave off, they snapped right back on.