Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Amazing discovery


Having just suffered a near-death experience last week (see previous post) my crippled snake plant suddenly sprouted what looks like a little flower stalklet. I never even knew these things bloomed! I'm absolutely stunned. Maybe it needs to be in extreme stress, and this is like a desperation move to guarantee the next generation. I know there's a pine tree whose cones only pop open with the extreme heat of a forest fire. So who knows, maybe this is similar. Or the plant doesn't give a shit and it's just doing what it wants. Or maybe it got confused. Whatever the cause, it's doing something I've never seen before. Pretty cool.

7 comments:

fermicat said...

I've never seen a snake plant bloom. That's frelling amazing!

TheWriteGirl said...

It is, right? Who knew they could do that?

wa11z said...

I didn't 'cause I don't know what a snake plant is.

TheWriteGirl said...

Well now you do. See? You learned something today!

BC said...

They will bloom. I once worked in a greenhouse and I have seen this happen but not to any of mine. Ive heard reports that it will under stress to save itself or when the pot is extremely over crowded.

TheWriteGirl said...

I guess it was the stress from being fried that must have done it. It's really neat.

BC said...

Do a wiki search for it and you will see what the flower looks like when full bloomed.

I have a couple of plants that were given to me for mothers day that I now have on the front porch. I had them on my table but kept the house closed up tight for the past month or so because of that damn tree next door. The plants took a beating and Im trying to save them.

One is a simple spider plant and the other is an Anthurium. That one took the really big hit. Poor thing.