Saturday, March 03, 2007

Life begins again, and not a moment too soon

In my universe, there are two sure signs that spring is on the way. The first happened a couple of weeks ago when pictchers and catchers reported to spring training. And very shortly now, I'll be able to hear that very special clack of the bat on the ball -- the unique and wonderful sound you can only hear in March. Once they come back up North and into their full-size ball fields, the sound is different. Less intimate, less immediate. Minor league ballparks come close, but it's still not the same as spring training games. But for now, just knowing that the guys are down there is great.

The second sure sign of spring -- well, I saw it today. I can't believe it had evaded my seasonal radar till now. But be that as it may, I was in CVS, scouting for nifty little who-knows-whats, and there they were. Marshmallow Peeps. Yup. Peeps. I don't know why they hold such a special place in my Hierarchy of Important Icons but they do. It's largely symbolic, I think. I mean I do eat them but my affection for them has to do with much more than just soft, sweet squishy stuff. A Peep embodies everything hopeful about spring. The sense of renewal, of anything being possible. Kind of like the confectionary version of the bat on the ball in a Florida ballpark.

Of course now they make Peeps for every season. But you know they're not really Peeps. They're just Marshmallow-y shapes that taste the same as Peeps. Real, true Peeps are the chicks. Not even the bunnies count. And yellow. They have to be yellow. I mean, whoever heard of a pink chick? Or even worse, purple? There's just certain things you shouldn't mess with. And Peeps are one of them.

But today I can forgive them, because now I know spring is truly on the way.

5 comments:

BC said...

Soon the Easter Bunny will be at the mall. I will just have to avoid him after what happened last year.

fermicat said...

Outdoor signs of spring start showing themselves in January here. I haven't noticed any peeps yet though.

wa11z said...

How about baseball bat-shaped peeps?

TheWriteGirl said...

Cute idea, but the ball wouldn't make much noise off them, would it?

BC said...

Im a pink chick. LOLOL

Something about peeps always does say spring. I get my entertainment with watching little kids eat the blue ones and look like smurfs. Its the only time they cant speak. LOL

My mom and her boyfriend live in FL right near where the Dodgers have their training camp and wouldnt you know it, hes a Dodgers fan.