Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Why is there never enough time?

I should be doing my Italian homework about now. Actually I should have been doing it several days ago. The class isn't till Saturday but I know I won't have a chance tomorrow night or Friday night. I missed last week's class because I was out of town. It doesn't make it any easier that I'm not 17 any more, and new stuff -- especially new stuff in a foreign language -- doesn't stick in my brain as readily as it used to. That's part of the reason I started taking Italian. Because my brain needed to get back in shape. No, that's ridiculous. I started taking Italian because I love the way it sounds. And I've always wanted to learn. And after I learn Italian, I want to learn Brazilian Portuguese, because I think it's the sexiest language on the face of the earth. Got French beat by a landslide. I've been studying Italian since last summer. But two and a half hours, one day a week is not the best way to learn. I get the whole concept of the verb tenses and moods but who can remember all the conjugations? And you know, Italian's one of those languages where nouns are masculine and feminine, so things have to agree, which is a whole thing in itself. And then of course there's this thing called work, which takes up far too much time in my opinion. Far too much time and brain juice. Especially these days. I'm plum outa brain juice by the time I get home. Then there's this crazy play I have to rewrite. And who's got the time -- not to mention the brain juice -- for that, I'd like to know? And then...I have a new freelance project to start on because my job (the one which sucks up all my brain juice) doesn't pay enough. I took a hefty pay cut with this job, at which point my friend who snookered me into taking the job promised that I'd be able to keep my freelance clients, and it wouldn't be a problem to take a little time now and then if I needed it. But with all the staff cuts, I now have about three times as much work to do as I did when I started, so of course I can't take the time here and there. So I'm forced to squeeze the freelance work in at night and on the weekends, when I'm supposed to be doing my Italian homework and rewriting my play. There really is just never enough time. But I do really look forward to seeing Angelo, my Italian teacher. I've got quite the crush on him.

6 comments:

BC said...

Ive been wanting to learn a different language. I know a little German and Spanish but not enough that I would be able to use it as a second.

My luck is I would be in Mexico and have to use the bathroom and someone sends me to a pet store.

wa11z said...

I learned a new language. The language of Rock! Just kidding. I know a little French and Spanish. What's weird about Spanish is I understand more than I can speak. That somehow unnerves me.
Screw your job! Write your play!

fermicat said...

Sounds like you need to take a long trip to Italy and immerse yourself. If you can find the time... ;-)

TheWriteGirl said...

I also know a little French and a little Spanish...whatever is left over from high school and college. I find it's helpful with the Italian because there is a lot of similarity. Also there are a lot of words that you can pretty much guess because they look very much like their English counterparts. I'm really enjoying it even though I'm frustrated that I'm not learning faster. And then of course there's Angelo. I really do have the hots for him in a major way. My luck -- he's married!

BC said...

Oh Im liking the idea of going to Italy. I think that will help you alot. The culture. Yeah its all about the culture. He he he.

TheWriteGirl said...

Wanna go, BC? I'm looking for a travel buddy. I can be packed in no time!