Saturday, February 03, 2007

Strange and beautiful soundscapes



I have become addicted to the ambient music channels on my iTunes. I don't have a 'pod - I just listen on my computer when I'm working. Most music is too distracting for me to listen to, but this stuff is perfect. But it's not just that it's inoffensive audio wallpaper. The music generates strange and beautiful soundscapes in my head. All kinds of fantastical universes and environments. Or just altered states of brain activity. I really love this stuff. I can just zone out and write and let the music (or whatever it is) inhabit my head. Way cheaper than drugs, and completely legal!

5 comments:

wa11z said...

Ambient Music Channels tried to kill the Metal. Haha! They failed!

TheWriteGirl said...

I sense some subtle hostility in your voice. Metal and ambient are like polar opposites -- how could they possibly be competing for the same audience? Me, I don't listen to metal, but I wouldn't listen to it under any circumstances, whether ambient was there or not.

Or are you talking about people instead of music?

And who cares about your stupid metal anyway?

wa11z said...

Haha. No, it's a Tenacious D song where they list different types of music and talk about how metal is still triumphant. Very funny, but I don't think you'd like it.

P.S. I care about my metal!! Why? Because New Wave tried to kill the metal. They failed!

P.S.S. I find it hard to get "orientated" to ambient music.

TheWriteGirl said...

This only goes to show how totally out of the loop I have become. Distorientated, you might say. To me, saying New Wave tried to kill Metal is like saying a yoga class tried to stomp a gang of Hell's Angels.

P.S. If you want to know what I think is funny, two movies you should see: The In-Laws (the original, not the disaster of a remake) and S.O.B. These movies are from 1980 or so. But they are two of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

BC said...

I will listen to just about anything besides the hum of my computer.

Right now I have some classical piano that I stole off a site. I have no clue who performs it though.