Saturday, March 10, 2007

A foray on my own

Day 2
Saw a place on craigslist. It was being listed by the onsite rental agent, so I went on my own. I felt a little guilty but what the hell. The building is new, six stories high. It's in an area that's kind of on the fringes of the main residential part of this particular neighborhood. It's in midtown, which is...kind of hard to describe if you don't know it. It's a combination of businesses and working class residential buildings. But they're starting to build and renovate farther and farther west, which means farther from the center of where life happens. So, the rents go down but the nice things that make a neighborhood desirable also go down. This mean artists live here. Which is a good thing. But it also feels kind of isolated. The building's on the south side of the street and the apartment is in the front, which means the windows face north. But, they're not really windows, they're walls of glass. Which means there's more light. But it also means that you're very visible from the outside. There are blinds on all the windows but even so, I'm not wild about it. Also, the windows face across to a brick wall. There's one window that faces west so I would get nice sunsets, but eh. The rooms are small. I would have to jettison about half my furniture. I'm thinking no on this one. But at least I took a look at it.

Also, no drawers in the kitchen. And no microwave.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

You've gotta have a good kitchen. And feel comfortable in the space. Sounds like the big glass wall is not your thing. Something will come along that will feel right!

TheWriteGirl said...

Yeah, the glass walls made it all feel a little exposed. I love a lot of light, but this was weird. And you're right about the kitchen. This one was brand new but it was all wrong.

wa11z said...

On to number three...

BC said...

I like the odea of the glass windows for a view of the night skylights. But that would only be useful on a really tall building. I dont want people looking in on me at night. Blinds or no blinds, they can still see in.

For me in an apartment, I need a decent sized kitchen and a large bathroom. The apartment I have now is in an old house and the bathroom was probably added some time in the 40s maybe. Its a closet that was converted to a bathroom. Its a 5x8 space. One you add the tub and vanity, there is no room. None. I can sit on the toilet, wash my hands and stick my feet in the tub at the same time.