Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Let me crawl under a rock

This has truly been the week from hell...and it isn't over yet! At work, I committed a colossal blunder, one that could end up costing my museum a vast sum in lost funding. And nobody knows yet except me (and one other person). Yes I admit, it's my fault. But it most certainly wouldn't have happened if we hadn't all been so overworked, overloaded and overstressed. If I had had the proper amount of time, I would have been on top of this project. My brain wouldn't have been scattered and fractured and burned out.

When I started work there last summer, this same grant proposal was being worked on. At that time the department had twice as many people working in it. There was an admin assistant who knew the thing backwards and forwards. And they had an outside guy who came in especially to write the thing. And they were all still running around like lunatics at the 11th hour, trying to get it all done and out! This year, there was me. And my manic boss whose best thing is making everyone else crazy. For weeks my friend in the department and I have been saying, something is going to fall through the cracks. Something is going to fail. Well, it did. Unfortunately on a very important project. But honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. The system was overloaded and it crashed.

At least it has thrown into focus for me how much I really don't like this job. I didn't like it when I started and I really don't like it now. It's too tedious to go into the whole thing, but bottom line is, I gotta get out. How is it that I've managed to cram as many uber-stressful things into my life at once? Moving, looking for new job. Now all I need to do is get married again and I'll hit the trifecta of most stressful situations. Lucky (or not) for me, there's no potential husband around.

4 comments:

wa11z said...

Whenever we realize that we really need to quit a job is when we also realize that we are about a year behind in "listening to our gut."

fermicat said...

Oh wow. I know how this feels (pretty much). I hope it all gets better for you soon. Change your residence, maybe a new job on the horizon. Hang in there. No need to continue on a course that brings you no happiness.

TheWriteGirl said...

Well I've only been at that job for about 9 months, but I think you're right. My sister-in-law says she thinks that we all stay in relationships about six months longer than we should. For me it was several years. But we don't need to go there.

BC said...

I can agree with you on the relationship thing but for me, keeping a job I dont like is just going to make me and everyone around me very unhappy. I love the job I have but it doesnt pay me nearly enough. I weighed the pros and cons though and the pros won out by a long shot.