Saturday, January 06, 2007

Tired of being the smartest kid in the room

Went for drinks after work to that place with the killer mojitos, which I'm sure I mentioned before. $5 during happy hour -- you can't beat it. Anyway...there were three of us; me, a co-worker and our boss. I got into a conversation with my co-worker about an art exhibit at one of the museums in the city. We were chatting away about American expressionists and our boss was trying gamely to keep up. But it was obvious she knows close to nothing about art. That's fine. She's a good sport and a very loyal boss.

But I got to thinking about when was the last time before this that I had a conversation of any substance with anyone I worked with. You know, about something besides movies, TV and food. No, even counting those things. It was probably several years. And I realized that I was tired of always having to dumb myself down to fit in.

I wonder where the smart people are. That's not to say that everyone at work is a moron. Okay, maybe a few of them are. But most are reasonably bright, or at least good at their jobs. But no one with real wit and intelligence. Or at least some intellectual curiosity. Well, now I know there's one at least. Can't tell you how happy that makes me.

5 comments:

wa11z said...

Which expressionist were you talking about? As for where all the smart people are? We all read and respond to your blog. Duh.

fermicat said...

Killer mojitos beat killer mosquitos any day.

At work, we mostly snark and tell jokes (and complain about work). But sometimes we do have deeper conversations, usually one on one. There is a group of about six women in their 30s and 40s and we all get along and have a good time.

TheWriteGirl said...

The exhibit is called Americans In Paris, 1860-1900. So you can imagine who's in it. There's bunch of other guys. And I don't know if you'd call him an impressionist, but I am wild for John Singer Sargent. But we can get into that some other time.

And you're right, duh. The smart people are all here.

wa11z said...

Will have to check out Sargent 'cause I've never heard of him.

TheWriteGirl said...

You don't know his stuff? Wow, are you in for a treat!