Monday, January 01, 2007

Perfect way to welcome in the new year

So I went into New York and had dinner with some people in a lovely apartment on the 38th floor with a spectacular view of the city. Great dinner, fairly unexciting evening. We ate well, discussed deeply and were done by 11:00. I was home in time to watch the ball drop in Times Square. I was not in front of the TV though, because the phone range and I was in the other room. But I heard the countdown. Woo hoo.

Call me old and jaded but I really don't care about that part any more. I did the wild blowout New Year's Eve party. I don't feel the need to do it any more. I think the thing that really breaks you of the habit is having young children. They don't care that you've been up till 3 and drunk way too much. They still want to get up at 6:30 or 7:00. Ack. So when my guys were little like that, we started having New Year's Day open house parties. Soooo much more civilized. And I always thought New Year's Day was such a bringdown of a day anyway, after all the night-before partying. This was a mellow and very festive way to enjoy the holiday. So I just got into the mode of skipping the night before and doing the party thing on the day.

So I've got my champagne chilling for tomorrow. I'll start drinking mimosas around noon and just sail on through the rest of the afternoon like that. Great way to welcome in the New Year.

Oh. The other thing I like to do is (don't laff) clean my house. Give it a thorough going over. Move the furniture, vacuum under absolutely everything. Scrub the cabinets and the appliances. I put jazz on the stereo, get my mimosa buzz on and I'm good to go. It is a wonderful way to start the year.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

We don't go out on new year's eve either. I don't like crowds, especially when they are filled with drunken obnoxious people, so new year's eve is the worst time to go out. I saved my champagne for new year's day. Unfortunately, I drank way too much of it and ended up napping late in the afternoon and waking up at bedtime sporting a hangover from hell! Oh well.

wa11z said...

I didn't go out, either.

TheWriteGirl said...

Okay, next new year's we'll all stay home together, separately.

I'm like you, fermicat. I like my champagne on new year's day. The trick, at least for me, is to space it out over the course of the day. Drinking mimosas really helps. I get a nice low-level buzz that just keeps percolates along without getting putting me to sleep.

fermicat said...

Unfortunately, I did not have enough self control to maintain day-long low-level buzz! The drinks were too good. :-)