Friday, August 08, 2008

2008: The Year the Olympics Jumped the Shark



Color me cranky. Color me a miserable misanthrope. But I think that the Olympics have finally been totally subsumed by the onmivorous monsters Marketing and Spectacle. What does any of this have to do with athletic competition? Not a thing! And not only are the organizers of the opening ceremonies making me crazy, how about the TV commentators, who are trying to interpret everything and impute to everything some ancient and weighty meaning? AAAAaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! Shut the fuck up already!!!!

Having my admittedly puny insight into Chinese (non)culture and (non)ideology, I know that they all go gaga over glittery spectacles with absolutely no substance. So okay, they've got a few thousand years of history to draw on, but they're doing it in such a phony, self-serving way, it's almost laughable. I think the opening ceremonies started to go downhill in 1984 in L.A., when dozens of grand pianos rose up out of the stadium floor, or something. I don't remember it too clearly. But I remember being slightly freaked out as I tried to figure out what they had to do with sports. From then on, it's been one lunatic spectacle after another. And the Chinese, being consumate experts at lunatic spectacle, have just put the icing on the freaking cake.

Okay, here's another idea. How about making the opening ceremonies a competitive event in the games? That way, every country could compete in putting on the gaudiest, showiest, most ridiculous event. I think it's a great idea. But I've been totally turned off to watching any of the actual sports events.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

I'm already sick of hearing about China. But I bet those fireworks were pretty damn cool.

TheWriteGirl said...

Yeah, I do love fireworks too. But watching them on TV just isn't the same.

wa11z said...

Hmmm. Somebody's a grouch. And I could care less about the frickin' Olympics.

TheWriteGirl said...

Yes and I'm reveling in my grouchiness. It's very empowering. You should try it.

BC said...

I havent watched anything that involved it. Im just not interested anymore. I think it was all the stuff that the kids go through to compete. Its just not the same anymore.