Thursday, May 08, 2008

Update on my steampunk post


Q: When is a hip, new trend no longer new?
A. When the mainstream gets a hold of it.

It was but a few mere days ago that I mentioned steampunk, which I had just found out about last month. Well guess what -- today steampunk is plastered all over the front page of the New York Times style section. Does that make me a trend spotter? Rather the opposite. The fact that I only clued into it shortly before the Newspaper Of Record means I'm only inches away from So Last Year. it's almost laughable.

Just cause We All now know about it doesn't mean we'll all be hopping on the steam-powered bandwagon, however. Real steampunkers are hard-core folks. They're very into handcrafting their eccentric Victorian wardrobes and gadgets. The rest of us can now admire knowingly from a distance, but I don't think they're in danger of being overrun by new recruits. Looks like fun, though.

6 comments:

wa11z said...

So what is the next big thing?

TheWriteGirl said...

Hula hoops are going to make a big comeback. Oh yeah, and meatloaf sandwiches. With Tabasco.

ctheokas said...

io9.com asked this very question:

http://io9.com/343419/what-science-should-we-punk-next

And it'll be open-face meatloaf sandwiches. Mmmm. Open-face meatloaf sandwiches. Gurgle.

fermicat said...

I'll be dismayed if Walmart starts selling Victorian computers.

TheWriteGirl said...

Wow, fermi, that's a really scary thought. However, from what I read, these are all individually hand crafted. So I think we're okay there.

BC said...

I think I will pass on this trend. It would blow out my 80s look.

He he he...