Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I wonder if I spend too much time inside my head

I blew off a cocktail party this evening in favor of coming home to my apartment and being by myself. First of all, it's important to explain that this was a work-related party. Tonight was our gala, our major fund-raising event of the year. Staff are not invited to the meal and all that, but we are allowed to come to the cocktail reception beforehand. Well, I hate my job (as has been well-documented here), so why would I want to extend that into my own time? To me it also feels very condescending, like allowing the servants upstairs into the master's house on Christmas Day or something. And I was not alone in this; everyone who had not been roped into working the event took off as soon as they could. But it made me wonder, once I got home, if I spend too much time alone inside my head. I have a very rich and enormous inner life, as I think everyone who hangs out in the cyberplaces I do has. (Bad syntax there, but fuck it.) Still, is it a healthy thing to prefer the vast inner spaces of your head to the company of the jerks in the living world around you? I kind of loaded that question, didn't I? But you get the idea. I don't have an answer to this. I'm arguing it out with myself. And guess what, both sides are winning. But the thing is, I love live human company -- the right company, anyway. I thrive on conversation and shared jokes and all that stuff that sociologists say is typical of humans. But I'm also perfectly happy to wander off into the wilds of my mind. It occurred to me only recently that maybe not everyone has as much going on inside their heads. Maybe they've just got a few little sparsely furnished rooms instead of a whole universe. Maybe they don't really care about going exploring in there. Or maybe I'm just really weird. Either way, I'm really happy I didn't have to go to the stupid party this evening.

4 comments:

wa11z said...

There is nothing wrong with you except maybe you worry too much.

ctheokas said...

I'm with Wa11z. I mean, if you're not going out at all, then there's a problem. But that's why God invented Meetup.com and Craig's List.

TheWriteGirl said...

Hey! I never said there was anything wrong with me. Why, do you think there really is something wrong with me? Cause you know, when someone says there's nothing wrong, that's usually a veiled implication that there really is something wrong but the person is too nice to say anything. Uh oh, now you've given me something to worry about. Cause before this, you know I really wasn't worrying. I was worry-free. That's me, you know. Not a care in the world. Now thanks to you guys, I'm just a quivering mass of worry.

BC said...

I think its crap that they had this huge party and yet staff isnt invited. How stupid is that? For me, I love my job. I hate my boss. So as soon as school is over, I escape as fast as I can.