Monday, November 26, 2007

Ushering in the Season of Wretched Excess

Pass me that bowl of stuffing -- I don't think I'm sufficiently stuffed yet. All around the table, people on all sides of me are saying the same thing: "I'm stuffed! I can't eat any more!" And yet they all do. Remarkable, isn't it?

Somehow I manage to escape that particular state of being. And what's my reward? I feel unsatisfied. Not that I haven't filled my stomach enough but that somehow, my experience feels incomplete. It's not food I'm lacking but rather some sense of
festivity. I think I know the problem! It's not my empty plate that's the cause...it's my empty glass! Send that vino down to this end! But I'm drinking alone. Wow, that's no fun. Well, okay, it's a little bit fun. But not as much as I'd like.

Thanksgiving...in my mind, the giving of thanks should be accompanied by a convivial consumption of liquid cheer. These guys...these non-drinkers or timid drinkers, they have managed to suck a chunk of holiday spirit right outa here.
Maybe some more cranberries will do the trick. They're red and bright and perky. Sigh. I love cranberries but there's just no substitute for a companion to share that dandy bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau with.

Never mind...on to the next feast.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

I had a little too much liquid cheer on Thanksgiving and was really paying for it the next day...

wa11z said...

I would get drunk with you anytime Writegirl. Especially on wine. I have absolutely no tolerance. After one glass you would be unable to shut me up. After two glasses you would pray that I would. :)

TheWriteGirl said...

fermicat - that's what's happened to me in recent years. It doesn't go away so fast any more.

wa11z - I'd love to see you after a couple of glasses of wine. I think I'd die laughing.

BC said...

I admit that I over did it a little over Thanksgiving. I think its because I had to be at more than one place. LOL

Im really not in the festive mood myself. I think what I need is snow. As much as i hate driving in it, think that is the key that sets me in the holiday spirit.

I know Im behind on blogs but Ive also been still sick. I will get back to that tomorrow. :D

BC said...

Oh and I think we need to have a get wa11z drunk party. He he he. I think that would get the holidays rolling.