Sunday, November 11, 2007

Go see this movie


I've been a Julie Taymor fan since Lion King (the Broadway show, not the Disney movie). She is a visionary designer and director. She really gets the fact that visual storytelling is a very textured, multi-layered medium. And she's not afraid to take risks. The result is visually stunning production where the whole really is more than the sum of its parts.

It's really fun to see and hear all those Beatle songs woven into a story and see how they all fit. It's also neat to hear how some of them are interpreted so differently than the originals and are so good. There are some great little cameo roles: Eddy Izzard as Mr. Kite, Bono as Dr. Robert, Joe Cocker as a bum and a pimp.

Watching her work is inspiring and at the same time discouraging to me. I say, "wow! look what's possible!" And then I say, "yeah, but I never would have thought of that." But I'm glad she did.

2 comments:

wa11z said...

You are the third person today(!) that has told me this. I take this as a sign that I should see this in the theater.

TheWriteGirl said...

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Yes, this is definitely one of the films that you have to see in the theater. It will lose a lot on the small screen.