Monday, June 04, 2007

Over-chocolatey chocolate

Since making the jump from milk to dark chocolate, I've been boldly going where my tastebuds never went before. I've been trying all kinds of "dark" and "semi-sweet" and "special dark" and all kinds of other, way goofier nomenclatures of chocolate. And I have been introduced to chocolate elitism, which if you don't know, is very similar to coffee elitism. I swear I heard these two people in Whole Foods involved in a passionate argument over whether Madagascar chocolate was tastier than Guatemala.

Anyway, the other day I was on line at the so-called gourmet grocery in my new neighborhood and they have all these imported chocolate bars at the register. My friend picked out two and we brought them home. 75% cocoa and 85% cocoa. For comparison, I think Hershey's Dark (which I like a lot) is maybe 60%. The 75%, I have to say, I really did like. It had almost a fruity flavor and there wasn't any fruit in it. But the 85%, that's where I draw the line. It's just too intense. And not in a good way. It has no charm, no finesse. It's just a bludgeon of chocolate on your tongue. When eating chocolate becomes as much of a chore as eating vegetables was as a kid, well...why bother? Then again, maybe it's just this brand. Lindt Excellence. One of the cool things is that there are so many brands and types to explore. It could take years to complete this project!

4 comments:

fermicat said...

Dark chocolate is the finest of all the chocolates.

TheWriteGirl said...

It is for sure. And I figure, if I'm going to eat chocolate, I ought to get the most bang for my buck. And now that they say that dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, we should feel no guilt at all.

fermicat said...

So, how's the new place?

TheWriteGirl said...

It's coming along, thanks. Baby steps. My latest aggravation is with FedEx. The windows in the bedrooms are an odd size, so I ordered custom blinds online (way cheaper). They finally shipped last week. Friday I forgot to leave a note on my door, so they didn't leave them. I called and they said the guy would come again yesterday (Saturday) so I waited until 2pm, then went out to do errands. This time I left a note and I told the doorman. I came back at about 4:30, still no package. I had a voice mail from the FedEx guy saying he tried to deliver them at 12:15 but there was no one there. I was furious! I called and yelled at the phone rep, who apologized but it wasn't his fault. Anyway, now I have to wait until Tuesday. But I have the delivery guy's cell number, so I'm going to call him and yell at him tomorrow. It won't get me my blinds any quicker but it will make me feel better.

On the upside, I finally got my rug unrolled and down in my bedroom. It was a little too big so we cut it to fit. It was a piece of wall-to-wall that I had had cut and bound for my old place. So until I can afford to get something new, this is fine.