Sunday, June 17, 2007

Getting to feel like home

I'm finally starting to feel like I live here instead of just visiting or pretending. Yesterday I bought new lampshades for the bedroom at a store called - appropriately - Just Shades. And guess what, that's what they sell.

I've also been collecting take-out menus from some of the restaurants nearby. So far I have ones from a Thai place (really good!), a diner (great fries and burgers), an Italian place that makes wood-fired pizzas (haven't ordered from them yet) and an Asian fusion place (haven't ordered from them either). I need to get one from the Chinese place on the next block. There's also a place called Cafe con Leche. I'm not sure what they serve but it's a pretty safe bet that it's Mexican of some sort. I have to scout out the area for others.

There's a market right on my corner. I hesitate to call it a supermarket because there isn't anything super about it. It's more like a rabbit warren. The aisles are just about wide enough for two carts to squeeze past each other. There's not a super amount of any one kind of thing, but there's a little bit of everything. And they do have some good produce. It's also open 24 hours, which doesn't mean anything to me, but it's a good place to go for a loaf of bread or some milk or things like that. Shopping here is an activity which requires a very different mindset from the 'burbs. It means going to many more places and buying fewer things at each of them. No more throwing all the bags in the back of the car. Now it's a matter of thinking, "can I carry it all?" I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and dragged the stuff home on the bus. This is why rotator cuff injuries are a common ailment in the city. Seriously, that's what my physical therapist told me when I was doing rehab on mine after surgery. She told me that it happens because people walk around the city carrying things all the time. Eventually the wear and tear causes the tendon to, well, tear. So you don't need to be a big-league pitcher to have rotator cuff surgery. I am proof.

6 comments:

ctheokas said...

Ah, city living. I am happier now that I'm in a city where I don't need a car, and so far, no rotator cuff injuries. But yeah, it's always a question of how much can I carry home, and I usually overestimate my own strength. Good luck, Write Girl.

wa11z said...

Wish I didn't need a car...but my arms feel great!

TheWriteGirl said...

Thanks, ctheokas. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime. Hey, maybe we already have!

fermicat said...

I have a little cart with wheels that I used to use when I lived in an apartment building and needed to get groceries in. Something like that might come in handy for you. It folds up for storage.

All that good ethnic cuisine sounds like heaven. We have a good variety nearby, but you still have to get in your car and drive a few miles.

TheWriteGirl said...

My friend gave me one of those wheelie carts. For some reason she had an extra one. It does come in useful. A little tough to maneuver, but I'll get the hang of it.

BC said...

I live in a city but still have to drive everywhere. Its not safe to even consider walking through parts of it. Upstate NY has its perks and its downfalls though. I live in a safe area but work in the slums. But thats just me and my heart teaching the not-so-fortunate of the kids.