Thursday, November 30, 2006

Router issues

Hmmmm. Seems as though my wireless router has bit the dust. After trying all kinda things and making several tech support calls (2 to Verizon and 1 to Apple Care), I've given up on the darn thing and just plugged the ethernet cable into my Powerbook. Not that it really matters right now -- the computer is spending most of its time on the desk. At least I can get online.

Question now is, do I chuck the stupid router and get a new one? It's probably a rhetorical question since nobody fixes this stuff. Also my printer died. I only had it for about 3 years. My first printer lasted me for at least twice that, probably longer. I would still be using it except it's so old, nobody has the drivers for it any more. I hate how all computer stuff is so disposable.

New router, new printer. Not cause I want to, but because I need to. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

fermicat said...

I've been tempted to buy a whole new printer because just the ink cartidges cost nearly as much! I think with today's electronics, it is almost always better to buy something new than to repair an old thing. Cheaper and better.

TheWriteGirl said...

You're right. It is cheaper -- and easier -- to buy new. And that's what bothers me. It's not like these things are small. Well, the router is but my printer certainly isn't. I've got a whole bin of worthless hardware in my garage.

fermicat said...

Yeah, the electronic waste kind of sucks. But they force you into it - stuff that can't be repaired for less than the cost of new. What can you do? I try to give that crap to someone who likes to tinker, or who can raid it for spare parts.