Thursday, December 07, 2006

I am SO there!


Have I mentioned how much I am enthralled with Mars? I have, right? So imagine my delight and excitement to read that it looks like there may be actual water on Mars! Actual liquid water that actually flows...well, from time to time, anyway. But water means life is possible. I'm not talking about indigenous Martian life, although that may be there as well. I'm talking about human life that's going to be there. I think it was highly likely anyway, but this just about seals the deal. I can be packed in, like, an hour! Sadly, realistically, I'm sure I won't get to go. By the time that mission gets off the ground, I'll be too old and of no possible use. But at least I hope I'm around to see it happen.

I'm convinced there is life out there somewhere. But who knows, maybe Earthlings will be the first to venture out, the first to colonize other planets. Again, that's probably not so. But maybe. Years ago, I read a great book by Ursula LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness. It was one of her Hugo or Nebula prize winners. In it, a representative of the planetary alliance (forget exactly what it was called) made a first visit to a new planet. This new planet had a highly advanced civilization but they had never ventured into space. They had never even built aircraft. Why not? Because there was no bird life on the planet. They had never seen creatures fly, so it never occurred to them to try it. So you never know.

2 comments:

fermicat said...

I love Mars stories and novels. It would be cool to see a colony happen, but it would be so difficult to do safely. Or maybe I've just read too many Mars books that have include sabotage as part of the plot! Mars is a harsh environment and humans are fragile.

The Left Hand of Darkness was an interesting book. I've been slowly reading all the Hugo and Nebula winners, so I read that one a few years ago when I first started out.

wa11z said...

I would love to go to Mars. Then I would get bored and want to come back, I think.