Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Out From Under


There are some signs, itty bitty though they are, that Things might actually be getting better. In my life, not necessarily the world. And as I said, itty bitty. Itty witty bitty. But hey, I'll take 'em as I find 'em. To quote Richard Farina, an old hipster from the 60s, been down so long it looks like up to me.

I don't really believe in fate, but I do believe in the the law of averages. Of the cosmic pendulum. Of how nature abhors a...well, besides a vacuum, a too-muchness of any one thing. And so, if you wait long enough, and struggle mightily enough, a long stretch of crappy life can in fact come to an end. Of course to counter that I also believe that certain people are blessed with -- not luck exactly, although it presents that way to the outside world -- a capacity to attract good things to them. I'm convinced it's pheromones. Some people have it in spades, some of us are running on empty.

But even for those of us who were at the back of the line when they were giving it out, life doesn't have to turn out to be one long unrelenting load of shit falling on our heads. We just have to work a lot harder for the good stuff. So maybe that means we value it more, I don't know.

So what are the itty bitty signs? Not important, except to me. But the upshot is, I'm feeling more optimistic about things today. Even though mostly nothing is different, I am. No, I was not in danger of doing damage to myself. I was not even angling for a Prozac prescription. I was just oh-yeah railing impotently against The Injustice Of It All. Today, I just don't care so much. My god...I'm almost happy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When in doubt, listen to the Ramones. That will always lift yor spirit. :)

TheWriteGirl said...

The Ramones? Like, "I wanna be sedated?" I think we can get a little more upbeat than that. Okay, you're thinking "Rockaway Beach"? I've been to Rockaway and let me tell you, it's nothing to get excited about. But thanks for the thought. I'll stick with "Exile On Main Street" if it's all right with you.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking more "Blitzkrieg Bop" or "Rock n Roll High School." Or you could do some Dokken.