Friday, July 04, 2008

What I learned on my road trip

1. It is close to impossible to get cell phone service in Vermont. The people who live there make jokes about it all the time. Like, "if you got up on your roof and wave your phone around, you might get a signal." Stuff like that. It's really spotty and unreliable. And your phone battery runs down really quickly because the phone is always searching for a signal. It's just better to turn it off and go cold turkey.

2. Bees in Vermont act like crazy pollen addicts. Maybe it's the flowers I saw, but the bees were going absolutely bonkers. They were literally rolling in the pollen. They were all having little bee orgasms of pollen ecstasy. I have never seen anything like it. We stood right next to them and watched for about 10 or 15 minutes.

3. Mosquitoes in Washington DC are on steroids. I was sitting in my brother's little back yard one evening and the next day I had about 20 bites on my feet and ankles. By that night, my ankles were all swelled up. Then I remembered the same thing happened to me last year in the same circumstance. I guess I also learned that I don't remember the things I should. Next time, DEET.

4. It is become financially unviable to do this sort of thing. I get fairly okay mileage (33 mpg on the highway) but even so, between Washington and Vermont, I spent probably close to $130 on gas.

And finally, this is not technically road trip related, but...if you haven't seen WALL-E yet, run right out and do so. It is just hyper-cute, in the best possible way. Even the crankiest misanthrope I know loved this film.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

The 'no service' problem does not surprise me. I didn't get service at my former home in rural Massachusetts.

Good to know there are healthy bees somewhere!

Skeeters suck (yes, I know they suck quite literally). I haven't gotten as many bites because of the screen porch, but I get chewed on every time I do yardwork. I don't use bug spray much because it stinks.

Yikes! I am lucky that I don't have to drive that much. When you factor in having to pay for an extra night or two of hotel, driving doesn't seem any cheaper than flying. They are both expensive ways to get around.

BC said...

I lovebeing in Vermont. The only time I feel that you need a cell phone on a road trip is if something happens and you need help. Otherwise, I say go without it and enjoy yourself.

Bees are a subject in sex education. LOLOL Im thinking they were really having a good time. At least something was happy. He he he...

I hate those buggers. The mosquitoes here suck too. And I didnt mean that as a bad pun. They cant spray in NY so that means they can just go at it as much as they want. The good thing is that my campsite isnt near the lake. The bad thing is that my house in next door to a yard that the entire space is an inground pool. So my yard is loaded with bloodsuckers.

My mom traded in her minivan and got a Prius. As much as I think the car is ugly, its quite nice inside and drives wonderfully. She went to Florida in October with the van and spent nearly $300 in gas. When driving the Prius back to NY in April, they spent $68.

wa11z said...

Road trips are very fun although nowadays it isn't a very financially sound thing to do considering gas prices.

TheWriteGirl said...

My car (2005 Hyundai Elantra) gets about 32 on the highway, which isn't too bad. And I don't do that much driving any more anyway - pretty much only on weekends. I'm happy to be living in a place with good public transportation now.