Monday, February 04, 2008

MORE COLOR!!!


It only took me 8 months, but I've finally finished painting my living room. One of the reasons it took so long was because I couldn't find the right color. Well, I finally took the plunge and picked something. Then I had to actually do the painting, which I really don't like (mostly because I'm not very good at it). It took 2 1/2 coats but I eventually got a decent result. Now I have to live with it. It came out darker than I thought it would but it's growing on me. The other half of the room is that goldy orange color I shared here several months ago. I am really loving having intense color on the walls. I used to think it would be very limiting but really, how often do you refurnish your house anyway? This is very cool.

(change of subject)

It seems very trite to say that work has been hell lately, but trite or not, it's true. I had an impossible workload, with 8 (count 'em, 8) proposals due last Friday. Fortunately for me, 2 of them went away for reasons having nothing to do with me. But that still left me with a half dozen major projects with a do-or-die deadline. If it were only up to me, everything would have been done in plenty of time. But the problem is, I needed lots of information and stuff from various other people. And have you ever noticed how Other People don't seem to care as much about your work as you do? Why is that? Keeping in mind that these projects were grant proposals to fund projects at the museum and without the money, stuff doesn't happen. But that still doesn't seem to be enough to motivate people to get their asses in gear. This has been compounded by the fact that my department head, who on her best days could be a poster child for ADHD, seems to have cranked it up a few notches on the wack-o-meter. It's tough because she was a friend of mine before I started working for her. Not a really good friend, but someone I usually had nice thoughts about. Now I want to strangle her more often than not. Of course I'd have to get in line. She seems to have driven everyone in the department crazy. The sad part is, it's hard to really hate her because she means well and she's very supportive and appreciative of everyone in her department. BUT SHE'S DRIVING US ALL FUCKING CRAZY!
In any case, I got everything finished and submitted on time.

(another change of subject)

Now I take a big breath and relax. Now I have some brain juice left for other things, like haning out here. And most importantly, moving my play forward. Very exciting...we're going to be doing auditions in 2 weeks. We're collecting head shots and resumes. Lots of promising women but hardly any guys! What's up with that? Where are they all? Working on ctheokas' film, maybe?

7 comments:

wa11z said...

Hey "Barb", seriously fuck off.

(change of subject)

Although I have no talent in the field I would come and audition for your play. And make an ass out of myself!!

TheWriteGirl said...

wa11z, thanks for you pithy comment to "Barb". What a pain in the ass. Second, I would love to have you come and audition. Mostly I'd just love to see you make an ass of yourself.

BC said...

First... I love the color you chose. I wish I could have dramatic colors in my apartment. But its not mine so I cant do those sort of things. Especially in an old house, those colors look great. But who am I but the lowly tenant.

Second... Some people work great under pressure and put forth their best work at that point. You are one of them. Yes it is very stressing, but the internal rewards can be great.

Third... Id love to see him make an ass out of himself as well. ;o)

TheWriteGirl said...

bc, I'm just a lowly tenant too. When I move out, I will have to paint everything back to the way it was. But since I just moved in last spring, I'm not planning on going anywhere for a long time. I figure by then I won't mind doing the work. Or maybe (hope hope) I'll be able to pay someone to do it for me!

fermicat said...

Warm colors make a cozy nest! I like that you went with bold coloring.

BC said...

I think that colors represent a personality. I love all colors but my favorites are burgundy and yellow. But if I had to chose a color to match myself, ultraviolet comes to mind. Just kidding. But it is a nice color. I choose colors to suit my moods. Tonight it would have to be a midnight blue.

Beth said...

I love that color. It is gorgeous!