Monday, October 13, 2008

Jury Duty, Part II

After a sextuple-murder case, pretty much anything else is gonna seem like small potatoes. We all got called in for selection on an assault case which seemed to involve a bunch of drunk guys at 4:30 in the morning. Apparently one guy was being chased or threatened by several other guys and he took a baseball bat to somebody's head, or other body part. It all seemed to boil down to a he-said-he-said. I didn't even get called into the jury box before they picked enough people. At that point it was 5:05 on the Friday before a 3-day weekend and the judge just excused us all. I have now gotten called for jury duty three times and have never been picked to serve on a jury. However, I can hold my head high knowing I fulfilled my civic duty. It's kind of like getting a colonoscopy I guess -- you don't really want to do it but you know you should, and after it's done you're relieved cause you know you don't have to do it again for a long time.

3 comments:

fermicat said...

I've served on a couple of juries for boring cases, and also shown up and been dismissed a few times.

ctheokas said...

Three calls and no service!?! But... but that didn't happen to me!!! Damn! I got one call, and they loved me! Thought I was "honest" and "impartial". Pff.

TheWriteGirl said...

Boy, you really fooled 'em, didn't you? So what was your case like?