Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Steampunk? WHAT????


Ever and always behind the curve, I am now in the process of adding steampunk to my vocabulary and making room for it in my mental archive of weird, cool new pop culture stuff. Does anybody else know about this? A strangely mutated love child of Victorian style and sci-fi, with a dash of, well, punk thrown in. Who'd'a thought?

Gotta love the 'puter. Not sure about the keyboard, though. I'll never give up my mahvelous mac keyboard for nuthin'. But the idea of hand crafting gadgets and widgets, not to mention computers, out of brass and real hardware is really neat. This is not a subculture for just any geek -- you have to have actual manual skills to gain cred as a steampunker. Me, I got more than enough on my plate right now, and anyway this kind of workbench DIY doesn't interest me. But it sure looks great. Oh, apparently we should be on the lookout for a resurgence of top hats and other items of Victorian type clothing.

6 comments:

fermicat said...

That stuff looks great. I like!

wa11z said...

Warren Ellis talks about steampunk all the time on his blog. You should check it out.

TheWriteGirl said...

I saw his blog. It's fun.

BC said...

That is so cool. Not sure I could work with it though. I barely enjoy working with the one I have. The keypad is too small.

I love the look of this one though. Very interesting.

Beth said...

I LOVE that computer, but especially the keyboard. My husband can build just about anything. He's going to curse you after I show him this and add a, "Can you make me one?"

No, seriously, that's crackerjack. And I'd love a return to victorian hats and such. Fancy!

TheWriteGirl said...

Yes, the hat thing is definitely cool. I hope we start seeing them around.