Thursday, April 10, 2008

Looking mortality in the face...or at least in its general direction

My mom, as they all do eventually, has been getting older and declining in some ways. At first it was slow and gradual but lately it's speeded up. She had a mini-stroke last week and maybe another one this week. She recovered quickly; apparently that's what usually happens. But it's affected her balance, which wasn't great anyway. And she has moments of confusion. She's doing a short stint in rehab but after that she's not going to be able to live alone in her apartment any more. My brother has found a place for her and wonder of wonders, she actually likes it, which is weird because she complains about pretty much everything.

At any rate, I've been thinking a lot about mortality lately. I know, join the club. I'm actually fine with dying -- my dying, anyway. That doesn't scare me at all. It's the falling apart that can precede it. If it were my cat that was declining, I wouldn't have a second thought. I would want to spare it the illness and discomfort. Unfortunately that's not an option when it comes to people. I hope by the time I get to that point, I'll be able to say "okay, I'm done" and someone will put me to sleep.

The other aspect of this situation is that my mother is, well, kind of a moron. My brother says she's always been one. I think that getting older has brought out this quality (or anti-quality) in her. But she's always been very emotionally needy, and never satisfied whatever is done for her. Of course we'll continue to take care of her regardless. But if she had, over the years, managed to build up some reservoir of good will, I'd do it much more willingly. I suppose that if I actually enjoyed spending time with my mother, I'd feel differently, but now it's just a chore.

But back to the whole mortality thing. After I die, what I'd really like is for my ashes to be sent into space and released there. I think it would be only appropriate. Not that I'll know. But I'd like it a lot.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Unfortunately. I don't really give a damn what people do with my remains, or ashes, or whatever is left. I've been struggling with the existential questions that are not easily answered. What else is there? Do our souls live forever? And is that a good thing or not? I haven't found any answers.

wa11z said...

In my will it states for my ashes to be shot into space. I don't know that I'll know, but I'm pretty sure that I won't care. It's more for the people that are left behind, kind of like a last hurrah for my ego or something.

As for what I believe...I think energy only changes form. I don't know into what. My only hope is that V is there for me waiting.

BC said...

Losing Dad a couple of year ago was pretty hard on me. Losing my dog soon after was devastating. Completely lost without the ones I turn to the most.

I have never had a fear of passing. I do, however, have a fear of being put into the ground. Im not sure what I want done with my ashes. But please dont put me in the ground. I think that was also a major part at Dads funeral was to watch that.

Im such a pansey.

TheWriteGirl said...

I agree with you Beth. I don't want to be buried. It would seem like being cut off from everyone and everything.