Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My start to the new year: SPLAT!

Last Thursday, after doing some errands across the river in New Jersey, we were heading home across the bridge. I had slipped into the EZPass land and was maybe 50 feet from the tollbooth. Suddenly the 18-wheeler on my left decided he really wanted to be in my lane. What transpired then was an extended slow-motion mashing of the driver's side of my car. The guy realized he had hit something and stopped. But he was kind of stuck to me so he had to keep going to get free. We were only going about 1 mile an hour so there was not even the possibility of injury, which is always a good thing. Fortunately there was a police station at the bridge plaza so we just pulled over. The guy was very nice and apologetic. He obviously didn't see me. But that didn't do anything to mitigate the fact that the left side of my car looked like someone had used a giant can opener along the length of it. I just got the estimate from the insurance adjuster - $2664.58. It's the 58 cents that gets me. I will eventually get my money back but I am still out the deductible unti Geico recovers it from the guy's insurance company, which experience says is about 10-12 weeks. Happy New Year.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

A 1 MPH crash sounds much better than a faster one... if you have to be in a crash. Glad you're OK.

This makes my plumbing fiasco of NYEve seem like far less of a problem. It's already fixed.

TheWriteGirl said...

Hooray! Glad it got fixed so quickly. My mess will take a little longer to clear up...and cost a whole bunch more. But hey, it's only a car. Fortunately, I don't need it to get to work.

ctheokas said...

Tsk tsk, Girl. That's what you get for wandering into Bat Country.

Glad you're okay, though. Like Fermi wrote, better that it's a 1 mph crash than a 100 mph crash.

wa11z said...

Glad you're ok. I'm still trying to recover the money owed to me from my crash.

TheWriteGirl said...

I was thinking of you, wa11z. I remembered your disastrous car incident. I hope my insurance company has better luck at getting my money.