Monday, December 31, 2007

A matter of perspective


One of the very few perks of working where I do is that I have a pass that lets me and a guest into just about any museum in New York City for free. I took advantage of it yesterday and went to the Planetarium, formally known as the Rose Center for Earth and Space at the American Museum of Natural History. Big mouthful. To me, it's simply the Planetarium and always will be. Some years ago it got a humongous do-over and I'm ashamed to say that yesterday was the first time that I visited the new space. Well, better late than never.

Anyway...one of the permanent installations is this immense...I don't know what to call it...exhibit, I guess called (I think) Cosmic Scales, or something like that. What's so cool about it is that it provides visual references for the size of things relative to other things in the universe. I starts with the universe as a whole entity and moves in powers of 10 down to a proton. It keeps using the same massive sphere you see in front of you at the exhibit (which is actually the outside of a small amphitheater) as the reference point. In other words: "if the universe is as big as this sphere, then the Virgo supercluster is as big as (the small half-meter sized football of a model in front of you). And so on, down to a proton. The last step is, "if a hydrogen atom is as big as the sphere, then a proton is as big as (a dot do tiny you can barely see it)."

It's a spectacular exhibit. Seriously, if you wantor need a reality check, this is the place to come. It's a wonderful antidote both to hubris and also to despair. It tells you in as gentle as way as possible, don't go thinking that you're all that special, or that your woes are all-consuming. Take a look at where you stand in the cosmic scheme of things. It's okay. Don't freak out, don't fret, don't beat yourself up. And conversely, don't go thinking you're all that and a bag of chips. There's more than you can imagine that goes on in dimensions greater and smaller than you. You've got your part to play, but it's only a part.

For me, it was a serendipitous visit. It put me in exactly the right frame of mind to greet the new year. Yes, it's all out there, waiting. Yes, it's an opportunity to jettison all the old crap and embark on something new. But it's important to be mindful that the universe does not live or die by our choices. If I screw up again (as I'm sure I will from time to time), it really is of no lasting consequence. And if I achieve great things, well, they're only great because I say they are. Out in the Virgo supercluster, nobody is paying any attention. And that's as it should be.

4 comments:

wa11z said...

Actually, the dudes in the Virgo Supercluster were asking about you. I told them you were busy.

fermicat said...

"Supercluster" is a cool word.

I'm sorry I don't have anything deeper than that. In my defense, I am drinking mimosas this afternoon and am surfing with half my brain tied behind my back.

TheWriteGirl said...

I am deep into the mimosas too. That's my New Year's Day tradition. I drink mimosas and clean my house. I didn't really have much cleaning because I just did it a couple of days ago, and since I moved into a much smaller place there's not a lot to do. But I did move my stereo, which I've been wanting to do for a while. It's now coming up on 7:30 pm and I've been mellow for quite a few hours. This really is the perfect way to usher in the new year.

TheWriteGirl said...

And wa11z, those dudes in the Virgo Supercluster are welcome to drop by any time. I may even have some champagne left (if they don't wait too long).