Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's time to stand up for Big City Values!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have had just about enough of hearing certain candidates heaping condemnation all over big city values. Apparently only Small Town Values are worth anything these days. Well, my first problem is, I haven't heard her, oops, I mean them, explain exactly how these supposed STV's are superior - or for that matter - different from BCV's. Since nobody has answered that to my satisfaction, me and my effete, over-sophisticated, secular urban buddies and I have been trying to figure out what Big City Values are. Here's what we've come up with so far:

1) Crossing against the light and jaywalking with impugnity.

2) Teaching our children what cheeses go with what fruits.

3) Eating bagels and cream cheese on Sunday mornings.

4) Overtipping the pizza and Chinese food delivery guys.

5) Going to the movies after work on weeknights.

This is as far as we've gotten but I'm pretty darn proud of the list so far. This has got legs for sure! I'm getting ready to start the campaign in favor of Big City Values. Look out, small towns everywhere!

3 comments:

ctheokas said...

How to end a fight, and make sure your opponent never wants to fight you again.

How to navigate a large area without using a car or truck.

We learn about other cultures, not because we go out of our way, but because they're our freakin' neighbors.

How to get along with said other cultures.

The right way to eat pizza.

How to say hello in at least three languages.

How to put up with people in cramped quarters (like this morning on the subway) and not kill them or freak out.

How to reward true entrepreneurs (like the homeless dude at the 42nd Street subway station who has a sign that reads "yell at me for five minutes: 25 cents")

How to navigate a corrupt bureaucracy in order to find the information you're looking for - and I'm talking private corporations... local government doesn't hold a candle to those guys.

I could go on, but I figure someone else wants their say.

TheWriteGirl said...

Thanks for the additions to the list. I was hoping you'd contribute. I was also thinking of adding moving your car to the other side of the street 10 minutes before the parking changes, to get the good spot.

Field dressing a moose definitely does not go on this list.

BC said...

I like this list!!!

When my brain is clear from sinus drugs, I will add to it. :D