Sunday, September 23, 2007

The silence is like velvet

Arrived last night. It's a cluster of condo-type units at the edge of a huge nature preserve. The utter, absolute silence just took my breath away. Not barren, desolate silence, but gentle, soft silence. It was like a velvet blanket over everything.

I took an hour-long hike this morning. Not so much a hike as a scramble. Clambered over lots of uneven, rocky terrain. Climbed a couple of steep grades, took in some pretty cool vistas. Pictures to come. Even during the daytime, the silence is amazing. Dense, like it has texture. I'm loving this. I can't remember ever being in such a quiet place.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

Where in Arizona? If you are near Tucson, I recommend the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

Massy Biagio said...

Hi, do you want make a link exchange with me? Please write a comment in BlogmasterPg.blogspot.com

wa11z said...

I would enjoy it for about an hour and then I would need noise. :)

TheWriteGirl said...

Fermi, I'm in Phoenix, right at the edge of the South Mountain Nature Preserve. I'm really enjoying the hiking. I'll post pictures soon. Not sure I'll get it together to make it to any museums, although I'd also like to check out the Phoenix Art Museum.

fermicat said...

Tucson is only a two hour drive from there. I've driven it several times...

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I have always enjoyed my visits to Arizona. Well, not the time I went to see a boyfriend and he decided to be a total ass. But all the other times, definitely. ;-)