Thursday, April 12, 2007

Playing hookey

Let me clarify. It's not strictly a day off from work. I'm working at home. Mostly I've been working on a freelance job that just never ends. I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the client just informed me today that "we're about half done." Imagine my joy. I've been working late at my day job nearly every day, getting stressed to the point of meltdown and then coming home to work on this other thing. Amazing my brain works at all lately.

Also let me clarify something else. I didn't, strictly speaking, play hookey. I didn't wake up this morning and call in sick. It's an official work-at-home day, sort of. My boss suggested I do that and, well, who would turn down such a generous offer? Actually, I kind of manipulated her into offering, but she doesn't know that.

Even though I've been working pretty much all day, it's been a nice mental health break. I could use a lot more of these.

5 comments:

Taylor said...

ok...so I haven't read too far back, but can you catch me up on what this job is? and mental health days are the greatest! I remember when I professor looked at me and said, "you look exhausted go back to your room read and write" its a much different feeling to be allowed to leave rather than faking something.

fermicat said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're working, not slacking (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Sounds like you need some R and R soon!

TheWriteGirl said...

Taylor, the job thing is a long story, but here's the short version. (ferm, you've heard my sob story already) I work at a small museum in the development (money-raising) department. My job is to write and manage grant applications to foundations and various government agencies. I took the job last summer to help out my friend, who runs the department. The main problem is, in January, because of serious financial problems, they laid off about 40% of the staff. We lost half our department, but we still have 100% of the work. You can figure out the rest.

The other problem is, basically I don't like the work. Normally I'm a writer, not a manager, but most of my time is spent not writing but doing manager-type things I don't like and am not good at, like budgets. Lately I have been overwhelmed with multiple deadlines and really difficult applications. Hence, meltdown. My boss/friend understands how hard it is, which is why she told me to take a work at home day. She doesn't know how much I don't like the job, though. I'll have to tell her eventually because I don't plan to stay past the summer.

wa11z said...

You should ask to have one day a week be a "home" day. Choose either Monday or Friday. See what they say.

Taylor said...

sounds like a sticky situation